Thursday, September 26, 2013

Something you'd rather not hear at 9-months pregnant

Isn’t it frustrating when things don’t go as planned—especially big things, like pretty much anything related to or involving pregnancy? We are expecting the arrival of Princess #3 around October 20th. During the first of my weekly OB appointments today, my doctor states that she will be going to Denmark for her grandma’s 90th birthday October 10th through October 22nd. Talk about poor timing for this very-pregnant momma! What frustrates me the most is that at 18 weeks when we had our last ultrasound and got the clear that everything was looking absolutely fantastic—even more “normal” than my first two princesses during that stage of fetal development—I talked to my husband about the possibility of switching to a midwife, simply because I wanted that kind of experience and who knows if I would again have the opportunity, especially with such a textbook-normal baby. After we discussed it, we decided to just stick with our current Obstetrician because after all, we know her, we like her, we trust her and she knows our history. Now, come to find out that it is likely she will not even be in the country during the prime time that the baby will come. It makes me have two thoughts:

1) Just get over it. You’ll have the doula you fought hard to get with you by your side regardless, so stop worrying and just let whoever is on call in the practice to catch the baby.

 2) This is the Lord’s way of giving you an opportunity to seek out a midwife and get that midwifery experience you’ve been kind of longing for and not feel guilty for “leaving” your OB.

I posted about it on Facebook and because I have a high number of pregnant friends, as well as birth-loving and natural-inclined mommas reading my posts, I got a lot of support and validation, which is such a great feeling. I love my support system—I don’t know where I’d be without great friends. Even though I haven’t seen most of these wonderful women for several years, being validated by them makes me feel so loved, and that’s awesome.

So, the next step is the conversation I’ll have with my husband when he gets off of work tonight. Logic does not like unnecessary change. It’s illogical, for lack of a better word. And I completely understand where he’d be coming from if that’s the way he feels. Switching this late in the game may also be an added financial burden, which simply wouldn’t go over well for anyone. Then again, it may turn out that he won’t care either way, and we end up finding a last-minute midwife that is just the rock-star we’ve always wanted! Who knows? I’ll pray about it. And pray about it some more… and I’ll keep everyone posted!


If you were in my shoes, what would you do? Let me know in the comments.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Angie! It's me. We probably have very different ideas about many things, but here's my 2 cents. For both of my kids, I went to an OB clinic where you couldn't choose the doctors you saw--you got who you got. I saw 4 different doctors with each of my kids, and then the 2 PAs. All were excellent, sans 1 OB, and I avoided him after the one appointment. That also meant I didn't get to choose who delivered the baby. However, it didn't really bother me. The two doctors who waited on me with my first were both great--it was a 24 labor, so they switched off. Given that experience, I can't say that it was a problem. I felt like the nurses (the major players for most of the time) the anesthesiologist, and the doctors were kind, helpful, and respectful. As long as the husband was in the room and everyone else was so kind, it didn't matter that I hadn't made a relationship with any of them. And the babies came out, just like they always do. I side with Logic this time around--if you have what you believe are the most essential things, everything else tends to work out just fine. Best of luck, whatever you decide!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always had a midwife and loved them. This is the first time it's not an option. It's kind of sad. ..i think financial will play a part. Maybe a big part. But if it's little difference, i would switch and have someone there You knew you could count on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angie I really hope Vandy midwives let you in even though you are a week past their cutoff! I've only ever heard awesome things about having a baby with their midwives. My last pregnancy I was at an office where you just got whoever was on call, and it was NOT okay with me. I was constantly feeling like I didn't know my doctor, they didn't know me...it felt very generic and run-of-the-mill. You don't want to go into your labor experience with the regret in the back of your mind of "I wish I had chosen a midwife". I hope you and hubby can feel the same decision in your prayers :) Can't wait to see pretty princess #3!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know your doula and will honestly tell you, you'll be in great hands. You will have to advocate more here at the hospital in town compared to going to Vandy. However, your doula is awesome and she know's the staff here in town ;-) I love the Vandy midwives and wouldn't do any other hospital birth except with them. What ever you choose, you will do great! You're an amazing woman and you have a great doula, amazing husband and the Lord on your side! <3 Jennifer

    ReplyDelete