Wednesday, August 21, 2013

In the Birthing Mood

Two years away from contributing to the blogosphere has it's perks; people turn to other means of getting family updates from me, like an e-mail, a Facebook message, text, or even the occasional archaic telephone call asking how I, Logic, and the Three Princesses are doing. It has a sort of freeing sense to not be burdened with that personal guilt because certainly there are plenty of alternative sources to fill that daily quota. However, it has been nagging me recently--

As I was adding an entry to my personal journal this afternoon during Princess1 and Princess2's nap time (of which only P2 was actually sleeping and P1 was pulling every book off of her shelves and spreading her Hooked on Phonics cards all over her bedroom -- though quietly, so I just let it go), I realized that journaling was always something I loved to do before I got married and plunged into the whirlwind of family life. I remember honestly writing in an entry during college, "Oh, my gosh! It's been ten days since my last journal entry and I feel so bad that I haven't written in so long!" Yes. Seriously. Now, as I look at my DayOne app timeline where I keep all of my journaling, I pat myself on the back if I see two entries within the same month. In my entry today I contemplated what the real reasons were for my lack of recording. I came to the conclusion that I don't enjoy writing about difficult things or anything that causes me to be negatively emotionally compromised. And, let's be honest here, since I've been married my life has been one big emotionally compromising event after another. And who wants to relive all of that through writing about it? Not this woman. But what I think I want sometimes turns out to be the exact opposite of what I need. I need to write about it. I need that connection to what has happened by seeing it in black and white. And it isn't all negative, either! Another reason to make those memories and emotions permanent somehow. Yes, all very valid reasons for keeping a personal journal. But why go so far as a blog?

What really snapped me back into the world of blogging? Simply a comment made by an old high school soccer buddy of mine who just had her first baby. She said, "Now let's get your blog back up and going." That was it. But better than trying to resurrect something that wasn't terribly fantastic to begin, how about give birth to something new? I'm in the birthing mood anyway, since Princess3 is due to make her appearance in the next couple of months. So, here we go.

Does the title have a story? Why, yes it does. Thanks for asking. When I married Logic four and a half years ago, I went from having a moderately uncommon last name to a name where I share both first and last names with at least a dozen people in any given state. Not only that, the surname "Owens" is just as common as "Owen", so upon meeting anyone for the first time and having to relay my name, I've formed the habit of saying "Angie Owens, with an S." My husband does it, too, though for much longer, of course, than I've been doing it. And that's the story. Not terribly exciting, but apparently uncommon enough that the title wasn't already taken on blogger. I guess that's all it takes. Here's to a new adventure. I hope it's worth the ride.

4 comments:

  1. I always love a good blog. :) Looking forward to yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Bloggity, blog, blog. I am so similar to you sometimes it freaks me out a little! I have the same resistance to writing about hard things even if it would be therapeutic. Anyway, soul twin. How did we never discover our many interest/personality similarities when we were younger? Perhaps because our interests have evolved so much in the last 10 years it wouldn't have mattered then anyhow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't you remember that summer when we were both bratty 13-year-olds on a cruise ship to Mexico? I totally remember not being bosom friends. But I certainly agree with your comment about evolved interests... Things certainly have a way of changing over a decade! Here's to starting a better friendship.

      Delete